Thursday, June 21, 2012

Overnight Oatmeal in a jar...

Since I have been trying to lose weight, I have been eating the exact same breakfast every morning: whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter. It’s 7 Weight Watchers points, which seems excessive given that it’s hardly any food! Anyway, it was good for a while but quickly became very boring (it’s been 3 months with the same breakfast). I started looking around for a better option, and I found it!
I’ve seen a lot on Pinterest about overnight oatmeal and I finally decided to give it a try. It is so simple and oh so delicious. I can make it the night before, which is a definite plus, and it’s versatile, I figure I can try all kind of different “flavours”. This is inspired by the recipe posted on Skinny Taste, but I have modified it to my liking. With my recipe, I figure it’s about 4 points, maybe even less. Here’s how to make it:
All ready to go into the fridge for the night!
  1. Put ¼ cup of uncooked quick oats in the mason jar (jar isn’t necessary, plastic container with lid would work fine)
  2. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon (more or less depending on your love of cinnamon!)
  3. Add ½ cup of no sugar added vanilla almond milk
  4. Add one half a banana, mashed
  5. Add about ½ cup of raspberries
  6. Put the lid on and shake.
  7. Leave overnight in your fridge.
  8. It’s really that easy.
And all ready to eat in the morning :)
I first made this with regular 1% milk, which worked fine too, but when I did that I had to add about a teaspoon of brown sugar. With the almond milk I didn’t need any extra sweetener. Guys, it was so so so good. I’m thinking even if you don’t normally like oatmeal, you may still like this! I am going to try it with some other berry options.
Besides berries, any recommendations on what I could try? I’m thinking maybe raisins or nuts? What do you guys think?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Apples would be awesome!!!!! Can't wait to give this a try :)

Kim Olsen said...

this looks delicious! i am going to try it!

Sarah said...

You won't be disappointed!! I'm trying it with blueberries tomorrow, it's in the fridge right now :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...