Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Homemade funfetti cupcakes!

I always volunteer to make birthday cakes for my husband's family. I love baking and cake decorating and I appreciate the opportunity to work on my mad skillzzzzz. This time though, since I haven't been feeling the greatest, I knew I didn't want to take on a whole cake or anything complicated, so I went with cupcakes!

I still wanted to try something new, and I remembered my sister-in-law mentioning that she likes the kind of cake with sprinkles in it. I've never made that from scratch, I've only ever made it from a box. So I set out to find a recipe. I picked one that used ingredients I already had in the house. I found this one on What Katie's Baking. The only thing I substituted was 5% cream instead of whole milk. I took a couple of in progress shots using Instagram :)
I cheated a little. The icing on these cupcakes was from a can, *gasp*!! I found a can in my cupboard and the convenience just really appealed to me. I did spruce it up a bit by whipping it with some extra icing sugar using my hand mixer. This makes the can stuff a little stiffer so that it can be piped on the cupcakes! I haven't been able to make homemade chocolate icing that's as good as the stuff in the can.

The cupcakes turned out alright, they were a little denser than I would have liked, I feel like they should have been light and fluffy, and moist. They were tasty but kind of dry. I probably wouldn't make this exact recipe again, but I will definitely try homemade funfetti cake again!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...