Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What's in my hospital bag?

I thought this might be a helpful post, since I spent a lot of time reading similar ones when I was packing a bag for the hospital. Since I am delivering with a midwife, it's possible that we will be going home from the hospital as soon as THREE hours after the birth. That's slightly terrifying, but also awesome. Obviously I don't have to leave if I don't want to, but I think I will want to. I have a tough time sleeping at other people's houses, let alone in a crummy hospital bed. Keeping that in mind, I decided to pack my bag assuming a 24 hour hospital stay, just in case. If you will be staying longer, then you can adjust accordingly.

Here's what I packed:

For me
  • One nursing tank top
  • One pair of nursing pajamas
  • One comfortable t-shirt to wear home
  • 2 sleep nursing bras
  • 1 regular nursing bra
  • 2 pairs of yoga pants
  • 3 pairs of underwear (or, grannie panties, if you will)
  • slippers
  • robe
  • 3 pairs of socks
  • Flip flops (for the shower)
  • Toiletries (travel sized shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, toothbrush and toothpaste)
  • Lotion (I hear hospitals can be very dry)
  • Lip gloss (see above reasoning)
  • Hair elastics and bobby pins
  • Towel
  • My own pillow
  • Pads
  • Nursing pads (probably on necessary but just in case!)
  • phone and charger (obviously not packed quite yet...)
  • Snacks (I'm thinking of packing cheese strings, trail mix, and granola bars)
  • Gum
  • Makeup (laugh all you want but if I am there for any amount of time I know I'll want to feel slightly put together for visitors/photos!)
For Hubby

I'm thinking that my hubby will have time to run home and cleanup if he wants, but if not, it would be nice for him to be able to feel like himself too.
  • One full change of clothes
  • Toiletries (as above)
For Baby
  • One pair of newborn sleepers
  • One pair of 0-3 month sleepers
  • One newborn outfit
  • One 0-3 outfit
  • One hat
  • 2 pairs of socks (one small, one bigger)
  • Scratch mittens
  • Wipes
  • Car seat!!!! (already in the car!)
  • Some newborn and size 1 diapers
  • Vaseline (my midwife recommended this!)
You should know that I am notorious for overpacking, so this might be too much. I just like to be prepared! I realize I may need to let go of that compulsion a little bit once I am a mom and all control goes out the window, but let me indulge just a little bit longer :). I'm planning on revisiting this list after all is said and done, so I can let everyone know what I actually ended up using. Of course if I do go home after 3 hours, most of this stuff will not get used!! Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hear ya with the flip flops and make-up especially when it comes to leaving the hospital

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...